Wednesday 11 March 2009

blog 2

1 When creating any devised piece of theatre, there are many strategies that could be put into place. In the fist weeks when starting the performance of Porto the tutors wanted to be quite strict with how material was created. This was put into place so that we wasn’t wasting time and used our time wisely creating new material.

The two devised strategies that were put in place was the clap method and the improvisation stage. this is what I refer to as "play". The play method I thought was the most hardest thing for me to over come, I was shy and nervous and didn’t know how to act around everybody. Improvising within the space around different people and not knowing how they will react is a risk you have to take. Using the use of play made me extend the characteristics of my character and understand her more. Using the Clap method for me I felt was not as effective as the play method, it may be effective because it is disciplined but I feel that my character was not explored more when using this technique.

2 When given the task of establishing a character there were many elements that I thought about. Elements such as should I include characteristics of my own personality or create a complete different person to who I am as a individual. My character is completely different to me and I think that's why it can be hard at times to perform and is a challenge. My basis for my character was that she was lost and I used this as my starting point. I started to perform as this character and I thought I need to add more detail to her as a character. I explored many ways of developing her as a character and thought a lot about the details that would make her as a character. If I was to describe my character I would say she was lost, alone, distant, drawn to things, shy, unapproachable, scared, always looking back. Picking up on always looking back she has a item in her bag , this a photograph. This photograph is made up of family, friends and a partner. In this present time where she is in Porto she is always looking back at this photo to remind her what she has left behind.

3 The physicality of my character can change depending how she is feeling and what situation she finds her self in. When establishing my character I came up with her characteristics and then decided how would she move bearing her quality’s in mind. My character as explained above was started with the word lost, with this I thought she should always seem enclosed and not let people in. My movements as a character are arm movements mainly and head movements. My arms movements of my character are always reaching out or blocking her face in some cases. My head movements are always turning of my neck or always looking back or her head is down and doesn’t want to interact with people.

When people approach my character depending how she feels, she will either look at them and go to interact or she will run away with fright. Her body posture is very simple she stays straight but sometimes she will lean to either side and slouch and look around her surroundings.

When using her bag she places it on her shoulder but she always messes with the straps and fidgets with it.

No comments: